Monday, June 3, 2013

Robidoux Roundup!

Was waiting until I got some pics to post, but still haven't seen any. I know I saw somebody taking a bunch of them.

Anyway, the fellas put on yet another great race. I don't think folks are going to see trails that manicured for a race the rest of the year.

Krug does not offer a lot of rocks for you freaks that actually enjoy riding technical sections. But more than makes up for it in flowing dirt and some good climbing. The course was FAST! GWiz put in a hard to believe 32 min lap.

Lined up down on the first turn on the road up to the top of Krug and I was surprised to see a bunch of Cat 1's out to play. I hung in with the best of them at the start on up the hill and on into the singletrack. Had a moment or two when I thought I was going to be able to keep pace for a little while. That lasted about as long as 1/4 of a mile in the race where it became painfully obvious that perhaps I should have rode my MTB more than a handful of times in the past 6-8 months. My focus switching to the road has left my handling skills absolutely horrible.

Kinda funny looking back on it. I would catch a guy or two through some of the climbing sections and then they would drop me on the downhills. And whats rather ironic is that this is my home course and I should know every rock and root out there.

Kept within myself for most of the race. I have figured out when I am red-lining and need to cut it back a bit. Its better to choke your motor a little bit than going way past it and blowing up, which have been done on many occasions.

After the first lap I needed to fuel up, I had accidentally dropped my water bottle halfway through the first lap. At that time Craig had already caught up to me and passed me. I guess I can't make too much fun of his camleback after that.

Last two laps were pretty uneventful, just out doing my laps in my usual place. All by myself in no mans land, slower than the faster guys and faster than the slower ones.  Makes me miss cross where you can see how far folks are ahead or behind you. Was able to get all three laps in under 40 min, under 2 hours altogether, which I was happy with. I did have higher aspirations of placing a bit better, but that's racing man.. We had some stupid fast guys out there that day, just on another level altogether.

RESULTS

It was a great day for racing and I am super impressed with Horizon Cycling. These guys are getting fast! Don't really know how or when it happened, but they got my attention now. Amazing how getting your arse handed to you on the MTB will do that to you. I'm back on the road bike, so I will see you Travis and Blake come cross season & hopefully not just the back of your jersey's.

No comments:

Post a Comment