Thursday, October 20, 2011

Joules Cross, Day 2...

Saturday I took a beating, was chewed up and spit out for my worst performance in years... I haven't been over top 10 in 2 years... Just as well, only logical thing is to come out and suffer some more against dudes with fresh legs...Awesome!

I would not say the legs were sore, but I could tell that I had done something the day before... Lined up in the front row next to SC and like 35 other Colavita dudes... Whistle blew, like usual take off in front and instantly knew today was not going to be my day. Legs are dead from the day before. But, I love racing so who really gives a crap, lets go....

The course was completely different than the day before, less hills, less technical (I thought anyway).. Had some twists and turns, some rough spots (only time I felt at home) and a climb to finish your lap up...

Group stayed together pretty well for the first lap, I did get to witness a nice wreck again. And again I was just slow enough to stay out of it myself. I did get to see a nice endo over the handlebars on this one. Don't think I have seen that at a CX race before.....

After a lap the leaders were getting away, I had settled in behind mid-pac ish. Got to pick off a few dudes and chased down another... I caught him pretty quick, 1/2 lap or so and he stuck to my wheel for the next two laps...

Down to two laps to go and my genius plan was to attack on the last climb leading into the final lap, gap him, keep on the gas so he would get out of my draft and push it to the end... So here we come up to the climb to Finnish the lap, I dropped down to a big boy gear, got out of the saddle and gave it hell....

In your head envision Cancellera at Flanders....... Got that imagery in your mind now?


Yah, Uhhh,  it was nothing like that... I attacked, hammered up the hill, pushed over the top and kept pushing until I cleared the top of the hill and then some..... Out of breath, legs burning, I look back......

SOB!!!! I pulled him right on up with me! Hell, he is closer now than at the bottom of the hill!!!

And there he went, leaving me to recover from my effort..... I tried to catch his weel, but had to settle for keeping him close for the final lap. I wanted to give another good push up the same spot, but I was out of gas, out of time, game over...Man that was fun though!!

Ended up 10th... Better than the day before, but not to my satisfaction... Anther day, another climb awaits!

RESULTS DAY 2

No comments:

Post a Comment